Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pssst....





So I thought I'd start this thing off with my participation in a new program by General Mills to try out new products and discussing them with others. Looks like the first item is something I use regularly, broth.


Here's the details:

100% Natural Broth100% Great Progresso® Taste• 99% fat free, no preservatives, artificial flavors or MSG*• Chef-inspired broths are slow cooked to deliver rich flavor• Convenient, resealable 32 oz. cartons*except that which naturally occurs in autolyzed yeast extract


The broth comes in Beef, Chicken, and reduced sodium Chicken.


I normally use Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range natural chicken broth and buy it in bulk at Costco. I never liked the canned broth because I feel like I can taste that "tinny" flavor infused in the broth. I also like being able to reuse the broth from the container.

Lately I've been using my broth for cooking farro (emmer). I regularly order vegetable farro, a dish at our local restaurant, Pandolfo's. It's what I order every time we go. I recently decided to buy my own farro and take a stab at making my own. And I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. I bought my farro from a farm in Washington state, Bluebird Farms. I cook it in the broth. Four cups of broth to 1 cup of farro. You cook it for an hour, then drain the broth. It's getting pretty expensive to use the organic broth, so I'm excited to see if I can save using the Progresso.




No comments: